Foreign object – inhaled or swallowed
If you breath a foreign object into the respiratory tract, it may become stuck and cause breathing problems, as well as inflammation and infection.
If swallowed, a foreign object may become stuck along the digestive tract.
See also: Choking
Obstructed airway; Blocked airway
These injuries can occur at any age, but are most common in children ages 1 to 3.
Certain foods (nuts, seeds, popcorn) and small objects (buttons, beads) are easily inhaled by young children. Such objects may cause either partial or total airway blockage .
Coins, small toys, marbles, pins, screws, rocks, and anything else small enough for infants or toddlers to put in their mouths can be swallowed. If the object …